Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Complete

**Complete** [kuh-m-pleet]
Adjective; Verb

Bringing to a whole with all the necessary components. To make perfect. To come to an end or conclusion. The act of being thourough and uncompromised. Undivided and unmodified.

Example: My heart would not be complete without you or I completed all my work.
Origins: Middle English complet, from Latin completus, from past participle of complēre

1. End
Noun; Verb; Adjective
An area that lies at on the boundary, the terminal, a shared under taking

Example: Here lies the end of the rode, I kept my end up, and we ended that conversation quickly.
Origins: Middle English ende, from Old English; akin to Old High German enti end, Latin ante before, Greek anti against

2. Achieve
Verb
To successfully carry out, to complete a skill, to aquire a desired goal

Example: I achieved my math test by studying for it everyday.
Origins: Middle English acheven, from Anglo-French achever to finish, from a- (from Latin ad-) + chef end, head

3. Succeed
Verb
Ranking up against another opponent, a positve outcome, to come after heir, to follow a sequence.

Example: I succeeded my father in cooking when I went to the Cordon Bleu or I can succeed in life if I just believe.
Origins: Middle English succeden, from Anglo-French succeeder, from Latin succedere to go up, follow after, succeed, from sub- near + cedere to go

4. Accomplish
Verb
A result that was brought by effort, completion, Perfect.

Example: I accomplished my presentation after working on it for five months.
Origins: Middle English accomplisshen, from Anglo-French accompliss-, stem of accomplir, from Vulgar Latin *accomplēre, from Latin ad- + complēre to fill up

5. Consummate
Adjective; Verb
Skilled, the highest degree, complete in every detail

Example: I play the guitar with consummate skill.
Origins: Middle English consummat fulfilled, from Latin consummatus, past participle of consummare to sum up, finish, from com- + summa sum

6. Finish
Verb; Noun
to come to an end, death, the final stage, the material used in painting.

Example: I finished my meal or the finish on that wood paneling is superb.
Origins: Middle English finisshen, from Anglo-French finiss-, stem of finir, from Latin finire, from finis

7. Attain
Verb
To gain possession of, to come to end, to come or arrive by emotion or growth

Example: I attained a candy bar from my brother Timmy.
Origins: Middle English atteynen, from Anglo-French ateign-, stem of ateindre to reach, accomplish, convict, from Vulgar Latin *attangere, alteration of Latin attingere, from ad- + tangere to touch

8. Reach
Verb; Noun
To touch or grab by extension of one's body, to hand over, to arrive at, the straight portion of a stream or river

Example: I reached my goal or I reached for the money on the top shelf.
Origins: Middle English rechen, from Old English ̄can; akin to Old High German reichen to reach, Lithuanian raižytis to stretch oneself

9. Win
Verb, Noun
To possesion of by wealth or effort, a victory

Example: I won my first basketball game or winning means that you do not lose.
Origins: Middle English winnen, from Old English winnan to struggle; akin to Old High German winnan to struggle and probably to Latin venus sexual desire, charm, Sanskrit vanas desire, vanoti he strives for

10. Conclude
Verb
To logically reach and end using reasoning, to form a final judgement, to decide

Example: I will conclude this seminar with a positive attitude
Origins: Middle English, from Latin concludere to shut up, end, infer, from com- + claudere to shut

No comments:

Post a Comment