Saturday, January 1, 2011

We Need to Make a Better Future for All Children (Visual Essay and Analysis)



My visual essay is arguing/claiming that we should make all childrens' lives have better futures. They should be in happier environments with positive influences rather then in depressing ones with negative influences. My audience is ignorant people who do not know how some children live. I start off my clip little boy in the ski mask holding a gun to introduce the clip with a child in a negative environment. I didn't want to jump into the clip with a starving child because the audience would probably know what to expect. There have been many starving children clips out there and I wanted mine to be about something more than just that. In the background of the little boy the lyrics are going, "People kill and people dying" which goes with the picture. The killing has to start at some age but why with children? My argument is questioning that. I include two children with guns to show that children with guns did not just happen in one instance but in two. It is not right. "Children hurt, and hear them crying," is the lyrics that the second photo is playing on.

The kids are getting hurt not only physically but mentally. They are brought up to think that killing and hurting people is OK. With the mentality the violence will most likely continue throughout their lives. Each picture is going off on a certain beat which makes the overall clip run smoother and keeps the audience focused on the clip rather then the editing mistakes. "Can you practice what you preach," is shown with a blond haired, blue eyed girl which in today's society is viewed as pure and innocent. Including this girl over the selected lyrics and zooming into her eyes builds more pathos. People will sympathize with this little girl and be more inclined to do something to change the environment for children like her. It also is a good transition between the boy with the gun and the more depressed kids following her picture.

To also build pathos for the other races, I include one kid from every skin type. "Would you turn the other cheek," I included a boy sitting in a fetal position in depressing colors. I didn't want to include bright colors for this part because I felt that a dreary overlay would create a feeling of more desperation within my piece.

To connect more to the audience, after the sad boy in the corner I include pictures of kids all looking at the audience. This includes pathos as well. Eye contact in life is crucial for getting one's point across. This gets the point that these kids need someone's help. It is hard to "turn the other cheek" when the kids are staring right at the audience. "Father Father Father help us. We need some guidance from above," I show a group of kids on the ground looking at the audience. This shows the "we" instead of showing a solo kid as the "I". "People got me got me questioning. Where is the love?" This part includes a starving boy with others staring at him. Instead of showing his skin and bones on his body first, I show his face so that the shock factor comes later. I also wanted the lyrics to be on "love" to put more of an emphasis on the image.

The second to last picture shows the desperate eyes of a child. "Where is the love?" is the rhetorical question in the background. Where is it? That is what I am trying to get across to the audience. Where is the love for these kids? To wrap up my clip I include a crying boy with his arm extended towards the audience and then his picture fading from white into black. His picture makes a bigger impact because rather than just going along with the slide show, there is a pause for the audience to think about the previous images and then comes one of the boldest images that will stay in their brains longer. I wanted him to be in full color so his image would stand out from the duller colored pictures a little before this picture. "Where is the love?" by the Black Eyed Peas is the song that I used because I think that It matches my argument. The images are displayed in a way that makes the song have more impact as well. Altogether, The clip makes a bold argument that lets the audience know that these kids need help for their futures.


Sources:


http://www.fotopedia.com/items/flickr-3372060864


http://blog.youthsays.com/stand-up-against-poverty-photo-mosaic-contest/http://orphansmom.com/index.php?p=1_10_Photos


http://www.vision.org/visionmedia/article.aspx?id=6684


http://snappedshot.com/archives/3346-Signs-Id-Love-to-See-at-a-Peace-Rally.html


http://www.dpchallenge.com/image.php?IMAGE_ID=331211


http://www.metro.co.uk/news/world/600967-millions-will-starve-to-death-in-crisis


http://truthrocker.livejournal.com/tag/south%20asia

No comments:

Post a Comment